Rush Limbaugh’s comments on contraceptives and response to Sandra Fluke’s statement has royally pissed me off
First if I may, I would like to start off by asking: why do men think that anything regarding contraceptives has anything to do with them?
Now it is so painfully obvious that some, or most, of the men commenting on this whole debate are really uneducated on the subject of contraceptives and don’t understand what they are for exactly. For example:
Birth control Pills: No Rush Limbaugh, contrary to your beliefs (i.e “She’s having so much sex she can’t afford the contraception.”) birth control pills are taken not only after or before having sex, they are taken on a schedule regardless of how much a woman is having sex. Birth control pills are used for other things besides actually stopping conception as well. Maybe, what you’re thinking of is the “morning after pill”
Emergency Contraceptives: Or more commonly known as “the morning after pill” are used after sex as a means of preventing the embryo from implanting or adhering to the wall of the uterus. This is used after unprotected sex or failed contraceptives. BUT not all insurance covers this and one would need to call their provider to see if it does. ALSO it’s not likely that every time Miss Fluke had sex she would need this morning after pill. Which means that in this situation one of two things happens; Miss Fluke buys her own pill because her insurance doesn’t cover it, or her insurance does but she doesn’t need to use it often because she is taking her regular birth control (which costs the same regardless of how much sex she has).
So now that anyone who didn’t know all that ^ knows it, let’s focus on how taxpayers feel about paying for women’s contraceptives:
The way Rush (and even some other men) talk about taxpayers not wanting to “pay for someone to have sex”, it sounds like men are the only people who pay taxes. Well as any working woman knows, this is not true at all. Now, I couldn’t find an exact percentage of American taxpayers who are female but I did find a statistic which said that about 79% of women use birth control for one thing or another. So if 79% use it, would these 79% of women mind paying for the birth control that they themselves use? The answer is probably no. And I personally doubt the remaining 21% of women would want that option taken away and most likely have no problem paying for contraceptives through taxes. See Rush? Not all taxpayers feel the same way about paying for contraceptives as you do. You must remember that women pay taxes too. Planned Parenthood even issued a statement saying that, “Eight out of 10 women in America say that insurance companies should be required to cover birth control pills and other forms of contraception at low or no cost, just as they must for other medications used for prevention”.
And finally ( I really was dreading this part) religion’s stance on this issue:
It’s obvious that the catholic church does not accept contraceptives and frowns upon them because they are preventing procreation from happening. Fair enough, we’re respecting all opinions here. This means that some religious organizations that provide insurance to people of varying faiths are trying to stop coverage of contraceptives. Yet, they may fail to realize a few things:
- most religious organizations do not cover to just one religious demographic. Plenty of catholic schools etc employ and cover people who are Atheist, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist…you name it. To take away coverage from people who need it is not respecting their religious views, but rather enforcing rules and views of one religion onto others resulting in loss of possible vital health coverage.
- Contraceptives are not used just to stop yourself from becoming pregnant. Birth control pills are used to sometimes regulate cycles or make periods easier. There are plenty of religious people who use birth control. I know for a fact that there are even nuns who use it, and it is blatantly obvious they don’t use it while having sex.
And my last point, (which has not been brought up nearly enough), is the fact that most insurance covers Viagra, the erectile dysfunction medication that IS in fact used only when a man has sex. Maybe when our government takes away the pill that has no medical benefits, men will understand what it’s like to have something that they “need” taken away from them.